This is the reason that I don't like the new ADATA USB drives such as the UV128/64GB or 128GB drives and other ones that look to be the same style (the green sliding USB connector).
They just don't work well from new and never work properly at any point.
[ 788.242463] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 16 using ehci-pci
[ 788.339816] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=125f, idProduct=db8a
Before getting into the output here is my typical experience with SMART, there is what I call a "bad disk" with pending and uncorrectable sectors that cannot be reallocated.
It has caused a kernel panic and system crash repeatedly as we can see from the logs.
But SMART says it has "PASSED" its self assessment. SMART is still useful to me but it is more about looking at Current_Pending_Sector.
Any time I have had anything but 0 for that attribute it........
4.374647] usb_common: exports duplicate symbol usb_get_dr_mode (owned by kernel)
[ 4.403334] usbcore: exports duplicate symbol __usb_get_extra_descriptor (owned by kernel)
[ 4.427736] xhci_hcd 0000:00:15.0: xHCI Host Controller
[ 4.427844] xhci_hcd 0000:00:15.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[ 4.429040] xhci_hcd 0000:00:15.0: hcc params 0x200077c1 hci version 0x100 quirks 0x01109810
[ 4.429141] xhci_hcd 0000:00:15.0: cache line size of 64 is not sup........
I've got one of these for testing projects from work at home and got more than I bargained for with the time I've spent on it due to the storage handing/Perc 6/i cards.
My particular model came with the following:
2U Rack Mount Server with Rails
2xOpteron 2373 EE (Quad Core, there is a 6-core version that can be found at times)
2 x 250GB Seagate SATA
2 x Dell Perc 6/i (horrible and a nightmare to work........
This is just trying to read 5GB off the drive with dd and the drive initially tested ok but shortly after I wondered why I was seeing 2MB/s read speeds. Notice the "current_pending_sector", anytime I've seen it at anything above 0 even with no other bad fields/attributes, it means the drive is bad.
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x3 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
ata1.00: irq_stat 0x40000008
ata1.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
ata1.00: cmd 60/00:00:........
This happened during a RAID array check:
SMART says both drives pass the test, but I'm doing a long test on them and hopefully this is not a hardware error.
Apr 3 04:22:01 remote kernel: md: syncing RAID array md2
Apr 3 04:22:01 remote kernel: md: minimum _guaranteed_ reconstruction speed: 1000 KB/sec/disc.
Apr 3 04:22:01 remote kernel: md: using maximum available idle IO bandwidth (but not more than 200000 KB/sec) for reconstruction.
Make sure the module "tun" is loaded on the host.
vzctl set 2000 --devnodes net/tun:rw --save
*Note what's below is what OpenVZ says you need (but I've never had to do it)
vzctl exec 2000 mkdir -p /dev/net
vzctl exec 2000 mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
vzctl exec 2000 chmod 600 /dev/net/tun
On the container test the device:
when Something is wrong:........
This drive is clearly on the way out, the Kernel knows it but I'm surprised that SMART is not concerned. I didn't blame Seagate for their past issues until now. This hard drive has hardly been used and has not even been powered on for a year according to SMART.
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11