This through me for a loop when I would do a cp -rf or mv -f nothing would get overwritten even if piping y or yes to the command.
Type alias and you'll see why:
alias cp='cp -i'
alias l.='ls -d .* --color=auto'
alias ll='ls -l --color=auto'
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias mv='mv -i'
alias rm='rm -i'
The -i is a safeguard against messing things up but however does mess things up worse when you know what........
It's not as simple as "yum install" as you can see below and it doesn't stop there.
yum install php53
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* rpmforge: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
* extras: centos.mirror.rafal.ca
* updates: centos.mirror.nexicom.net
* base: centos.mirror.nexicom.net
* addons: centos.mirror.nexicom.net
Setting up Install Process........