The idlepc value is very important to dynamips and it is both image and often CPU dependent. There is no "magic"value that will work for all images and all CPUs so this is why I'll show you a quick and handy way.
Also don't be disappointed, some values do not work well but idlepc gives you several. For example in my example below #6 didn't help at all but #7 got me down to about 6% CPU from 99-100%.
1.) Make sure your dynagen config file has........
Occasionally my whole screen locks up and I cannot even swith to the console and I find this in my syslog:
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Mullins [Radeon R3 Graphics]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
I tried to stop a qemu-img copy or clone and it broke everything. It was fine to "stop" it from the GUI but a process still persisted so I killed the relevant qemu-img and the kernel went crazy. It also may not have helped that I tried to lvremove a different volume (an unused disk). But either way it breaks LVM (you cannot even run lvdisplay) so a reboot is necessary.
Jan 17 06:45:21 testserver kernel: [ 5680.439337] systemd-udevd D 0&nbs........
Before getting into the output here is my typical experience with SMART, there is what I call a "bad disk" with pending and uncorrectable sectors that cannot be reallocated.
It has caused a kernel panic and system crash repeatedly as we can see from the logs.
But SMART says it has "PASSED" its self assessment. SMART is still useful to me but it is more about looking at Current_Pending_Sector.
Any time I have had anything but 0 for that attribute it........
Essentially a program I was running for mining did not terminate properly with Ctrl+C it is listed as defunct and cannot be killed, kernel is tainted and normal tricks to disable the port are impossible the dev and sys entries for the device cannot be browsed or interacted with in any form without a lockup of the request. The only solution is to reboot due to the kernel taint as far as I can find so far.
[1130246.811056] INFO: task minerd:21861 blocked for more th........
This is a 8TB Seagate external USB 3.0 device apparently newer kernels use a module called "UAS" instead of "USB Storage" which causes issues as a lot of devices are not properly supported in UAS mode by the kernel driver. The solution some say is to disable UAS specifically for your USB device but I'd rather just disable UAS altogether.
Solution blacklist UAS: *do not do this it does not work and just causes your USB 3.0........
When running cudaminer once it tries to initialize the card the entire screen freezes. The computer itself is still running but the Xorg is done for, you cannot even switch to another console window and must reboot (even an mdm or Xorg restart does not help).
At first cudaminer will give you these errors:
...retry after 15 seconds
GPU #0: Geforce 210 with compute ca........
This was a surprising bug but I unplugged all drives for an array md127. At first it was just 1 drive and mdadm seemed to notice this. I unplugged the second drive taking the array offline but mdadm did not realize it was offline and still showed a non-existent disk as being part of it. This created problems trying to unmount it or even to stop this array with mdadm freezing.
As for how to fix it I can only think of making sure you are not in a mounted path of........
I created a new partition table on a newly plugged in device and it caused fdisk to hang (even force kill does not work). It also may be a bad drive or some other issue because fdisk -l hangs after the first 2 HDDs (totaly of 8 HDDs on this system):
[1232879.903596] INFO: task fdisk:27176 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[1232879.903607] Tainted: P&nbs........
I used the matching 8.3.13 utilities and it didn't work but strangely the newer 8.3.16 which makes DRBD complain works just fine.
GIT-hash: 83ca112086600faacab2f157bc5a9324f7bd7f77 build by root@sighted, 2012-10-09 12:47:51
0: cs:SyncSource ro:Secondary/Primary ds:UpToDate/Inconsistent A r-----
ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:5236960
I've got one of these for testing projects from work at home and got more than I bargained for with the time I've spent on it due to the storage handing/Perc 6/i cards.
My particular model came with the following:
2U Rack Mount Server with Rails
2xOpteron 2373 EE (Quad Core, there is a 6-core version that can be found at times)
2 x 250GB Seagate SATA
2 x Dell Perc 6/i (horrible and a nightmare to work........